Monday, May 12, 2008

The Blondes Lead the Blind

Still pondering politics, in the middle of studying for an exam on Wednesday, so I'm not really getting anywhere on either playing field. With little hope for inspiration, I've been listening to Streetlight Manifesto, which I would highly recommend. Ska is very much an acquired taste, but it's great when you've got a feel for it. Most of their songs allude to religion in one way or another, whether it be vaguely or "in your face atheism," as some have put it. The solar storm poem is going well, it may be one of my favorites from the whole project, even as I'm just working my way into Chapter Two. A little bit of it...

Particles colliding in the night
A show before the storm
As satellites crash through the atmosphere
Leaving burning trails across the sky.

And in the glittering cities
Where people have paused to watch the lights
The electricity will soon go out
And plunge them into darkness.


In other news, Christians are praying for the end of the world! I would be glad to see them go, but who am I supposed to write about when they're all gone? I suppose Islam could work, but the US just doesn't have enough to make as big an impact as they need to for the story to work. In any case, should they be taken in rapture, I call dibs on the nicest cars.

Minnesota is officially getting my Stupid of the Week award, following this little bit of insanity in the classroom.

Three small-town eighth-graders in Minnesota were suspended by their principal for not standing Thursday morning for the Pledge of Allegiance, violating a district policy that the principal now says may soon be reworded to protect free speech rights.

Ever heard of the First Amendment? It's a handy little passage in the Bill of Rights. Obviously, it's the History teachers in Minnesota who need to be suspended for letting these "administrators" graduate. For what it's worth, I don't stand for the Pledge either, so I applaud these kids for sitting tall in the face of opposition. If we want a healthy America, intelligence needs to start early.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Humph! My school doesn't force us to stand!

When I do stand, you should see the look on people's faces when they hear the words "One nation under FSM."